Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Promoting New Evangelization

by Archbishop Timothy Dolan of the Archdiocese of New York:

I’m spending this week at the Vatican for the first-ever meeting of the Pontifical Council for Promoting the New Evangelization. I’m honored that the Holy Father has appointed me to this new and vital Council, responsible for helping to promote the faith. The Holy Father met with us on Monday, and our meetings with Archbishop Rino Fisichella, the President of the Council, and cardinals and bishops from around the world have been enlightening and inspiring. This is an area of tremendous emphasis for the Church, and it is reflected in the enthusiasm and commitment of everyone in these meetings.

Since I was in Rome, I took the opportunity to record my weekly radio program, “A Conversation with the Archbishop” for The Catholic Channel on Sirius XM Radio from the studios of Vatican Radio. When I was Rector of the North American College in Rome, I used to record brief reflections for Vatican Radio, so it was great to be back. We recorded this week’s show in the Karol Wojtyla Studios, named for Pope John Paul II, since it was the studio that he used to record 21 Polish-language programs for Vatican Radio while he was the Cardinal-Archbishop of Krakow, Poland. I was a little let-down when I found out that I wasn’t the first Catholic Channel host to broadcast from the Karol Wojtyla Studio. Apparently Lino Rulli, The Catholic Guy, beat me to it! Archbishop Fisichella, Sean Patrick Lovett who heads the English desk at Vatican Radio, and Monsignor Paul Tighe, a priest from Dublin who now works at the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, were my guests. I hope you will listen on Thursday at 1:00 p.m. Eastern time to hear the show on Sirius XM 129.


Archbishop Dolan and Archbishop Fisichella
You’ll notice a television camera in the picture with Archbishop Fisichella. The Today Show is broadcasting from the Vatican this Thursday morning, and they’ve asked me to be a part of it. I’ll be with Matt Lauer and Al Roker from Saint Peter’s Square. Should be a fun morning, so tune in if you can.

Have a blessed Ascension Thursday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment