Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Art of Shepherding: A poem and reflection for Good Shepherd Sunday

by SIster Juliemarie McDonald, SND

Fourth Sunday in Easter Time

I am the good shepherd, I know mine and mine know me… (John 10:14)

A Prayer Poem by Sr. Juliemarie McDonald, SND
for the Fourth Sunday of Easter, April 29, 2012

Shepherding is an art.

People, like sheep, are fragile and defenseless.
Like sheep, they are shortsighted.
The saving factor of sheep and us is both respond only
to the shepherd’s voice.

Shepherding is an art.
A shepherd trusts his flock to follow.
He feeds them,
waters them,
leads them to green pastures and
cares for them.
He even becomes the door of the sheepfold at night
to protect them
If they stray, he searches and brings back the wanderer
from the fold.

Shepherding is an art.
Did you ever think of yourself as a shepherd?
You are when you
love whatever flock you tend;
feed others with wisdom, grace, guidings and teachings and
care patiently with the rebellious, strays or the disinterested.

Lord, teach me to listen to you, the Good Shepherd. Help me to give
to my flock what I have gained from you in my quiet, listening times.

For Reflection and Sharing

1. Sometimes obstacles get in the way of hearing the voice of God.
What are some of these modern day obstacles?

2. How can you get rid of those obstacles? (Include some specific
Ideas about boundaries and priorities.)

3. Think of a person who has helped you hear the voice of the Good
Shepherd and say a prayer for that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment