Thursday, May 17, 2012

Being a god...what a burden

Jennifer Fulwiler

Yesterday, Simcha asked a great question about the Lord's famous teaching that his yoke is easy, and his burden is light. She wrote:

I understand that we can unite our suffering with Christ's -- that we can elevate any pain or sorrow, and that none of it is lost, none of it has to be in vain. But that makes it worthwhile; that rescues it from futility. It doesn't make it easy or light. I guess I just don't understand why Christ used those particular words.

She ended by asking, "What does this verse mean to you? What does 'easy and light' mean?" It's a phrase that I have puzzled over as well, but when it makes most sense to me is when I contrast my life now to my life when I was an atheist. It's not that I have fewer troubles now, or even that they don't ever bother me. But without a doubt, I have found the Christian yoke to be light, and it comes down to one simple thing: I no longer feel like a god.

Read more from the National Catholic Register

No comments:

Post a Comment