Sunday, July 31, 2011

Listen closely to hear His call

Knoxville Journal:

If one listens closely enough, His voice can be heard. It can happen at anytime and can be for any number of reasons.

For Larry Strauser and his wife of 18 years, Beverly, that time came 13 years ago.

"My wife (has a background of) Church of God and I'm Roman Catholic, and she heard the calling," said Larry. "And I asked my pastor about it and I said, 'I didn't hear anything.'" So he said, 'Larry, if your wife was called into it, you were called into it, too.' So, we've been doing it ever since."

The Strauser's are foster parents. It's a commitment that stands alone and there are children all over Knoxville, as well as the world, who need and want to find a loving home. Larry said after his wife heard the call, they both decided to put down roots in East Tennessee and let their faith guide them along the way.

"In 1998 we sold our businesses and we got called into the ministry working at a children's home in Sevierville," he said. "We worked there for five years and we decided we loved Tennessee so much that we wanted to live here. So, we bought a house out in the Karns area and went into foster care with Catholic charities and Omnivisions. Now we have two great kids who've been with us for two-and-a-half years — (foster children) Ryan and Noah — they're 10 and 13. Five years ago we adopted my son Kevin, so it's just the five of us at home right now."

The Strauser's are a big family, one of those that Larry said causes some to pause from what they're doing to take it all in.

"My wife has four kids from a previous marriage and I have two from a previous marriage, so if you look on the back of my van you'll see nine kids and three dogs," he said with a laugh. "I get a lot of looks from people passing by."

For Larry, the payoff comes from the warm affection he receives when it's needed most.

"Of course, it's rewarding. With the younger kids it's even more rewarding because they give you a hug in the morning — not like 16- or 17-year-old kids, you know — they give you a hug when they get home from school and before bedtime they tell you they love you … so, it's more enjoyable with the younger kids," he said. "Right now our life is very pleasant, very enjoyable."

While Larry continues to be a solid parent and role model to his children, it's not his only faithful commitment. He's very active in the community working with fellow senior citizens, visiting Alzheimer's patients and volunteering for both Caris Healthcare and End of Time Ministries.

One particular moment stands out to him, and he reflected on the first time he experienced death with someone he had been visiting while volunteering for Caris Healthcare.

"She was sleeping most of the time," said Larry. "But I left a picture of Jesus on her lap, and the next morning I went to visit her and (the staff) told me that she had passed away the previous afternoon. So I'm hoping, you know, that she saw the picture of Jesus and she was released."


And through it all, at the end of the day Larry said it's his time spent playing softball with the Knox Senior Co-Ed League that really puts a smile on his face and in his heart.

"My biggest enjoyment is this softball league, mostly because I get to be with adults since I'm with kids," he said. "These people are holy people. They're concerned when I miss a day and they want to know what happened to me. And since the boys are not with their families and they can't have contact with their family members, these people are like grandparents to them."

Family has no perfect picture. It comes in all sizes, shapes and forms, but as long as there are people out there like Larry and Beverly Strauser, those who don't know what it's like to be sheltered from the storm will someday find the love they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment