Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Miracles or extraordinary happenings

In God's Company 2:

God reminds us, with a tap or shove, how much He loves us

By Father Roger J. Bourgea, S.M.

During my many years as hospital chaplain in various hospitals, I have experienced many uplifting and encouraging situations that make me love my ministry as hospital chaplain all the more. When people express with exuberant joy: “Gee Father, I feel better already,” after receiving the Anointing for Healing, or they say, “Father, you really made my day today,” after receiving holy Communion, I can’t help but feel very privileged to be involved in their joy and happiness. People of faith in the hospital find it very easy to express great appreciation for the presence of a priest in the hospital.

Years ago, during one of my hospital visits, I went to see a woman who was told by her doctor that she must abort her four-month old baby because, if she didn’t, she and her baby would both die. Now this was a woman of great faith who believed that it was always wrong to abort and kill a child. She was very upset with the direction her doctor had given her and asked me what she should tell him. Of course I told her that she should tell him to do everything in his power to save both her life and the life of her baby and that abortion was completely out of the question. She told him that and, as a consequence, she gave birth to a very healthy baby, and both she and her baby went on to live.2

Read more...


No comments:

Post a Comment